
Welcome back, sportz freaks to a very special edition of Z Money's Sportz Talk. Three weeks ago, 65 NCAA basketball squads were entered into the tournament we all know as March Madness. Tonight, the final two will take the floor in Indianapolis with the same goal: winning a national championship. For Duke, it would be their fourth, their last since 2001. For the underdog team from Butler, it can truly be a historic night, as the Bulldogs could very well win their very first championship. It's been a wild ride in this year's NCAA tournament, and the finals is truly indicative of that.
On one hand, you have a Duke team who has been riddled with post season failure in the past ten years, but is still considered a national powerhouse none the less. The #1 seed from the South Region, the Blue Devils got a free pass to the round of 32 after beating down Arkansas Pine-Bluff. Then, Duke went on to face the #8, #4, and #3 seeds in succession, defeating California, Purdue, and Baylor, respectively. Saturday evening, Duke finished their run to the title game with a rather impressive victory over what was then a red-hot West Virginia club.
Then there's Butler. What can we say about those Bulldogs? Well, I know for myself personally, these guys have proven me wrong time and time again. I have counted them out a number of times this season, and they have proved me wrong every step of the way. It started with a victory over #12 UTEP, a game in which I had selected the underdogs and was incorrect from the start. From there, Butler went on to defeat the 13 seeded Murray State, and while the wins were coming, the decent opponents were not. That didn't last long, though, as Butler shocked the world in the Sweet 16 by eliminating the #1 seed in the West when they beat Syracuse 63-59. With my champion erased from the brackets, I still didn't have much faith in Butler's chances to make it to the Final Four. In their Elite Eight match up, however, the Bulldogs prevailed again in another shocking victory over #2 Kansas State. Then on Saturday, facing the defending runners up, Butler faced one last test against the gutty, gritty Spartans of Michigan State. Butler pulled it off again in thrilling fashion, knocking off MSU with a 52-50 victory.
Now it's David vs. Goliath for about the 400th time this season. But this one feels different. This one feels special. Butler will be playing tonight in front of a crowd that will be vastly behind them, considering they are just miles from their home court. Duke is a tough challenge, no doubt. But so was Syracuse... and Kansas State... oh, and Michigan State also. So what makes the Blue Devils any different? What makes Coach K's squad the team that will finally put an end to this Cinderella story? Maybe the better question is: will they?
When the field was released back in mid-March, I had Duke and Syracuse facing off in the finals, and while I'm happy with getting half right, I'm also quite certain that there weren't too many people who took Butler this far either. The problem I have now is that I never had Duke winning it all. I had the Orange taking home the trophy, and the Blue Devils falling just short. This story is quite different than Duke-Syracuse. Butler is on the ride of their lives, and who's to say the party's going to end tonight? Last year, I thought Michigan State would pull off the upset against UNC, virtually playing at home as Butler is tonight. UNC took the game with ease, making one wonder just what makes Butler any different. As an avid Duke fan, I am here to tell you that this is completely different from last year's title game, and that the Blue Devils are on major upset alert.
If Duke can shoot like they did on Saturday, the Blue Devils will walk out tonight as national champs. One slip back to the slop they played in the middle rounds and Butler will walk all over them. Duke seems focused, almost too much so. Will they finally choke the way Tar Heel fans have been waiting for all tournament?
I believe they will. And it may not be so much on Duke as it is on a fired up Butler team, looking to defy all the odds. I'm a huge fan of underdog stories, even if the underdog is facing my favorite team. Sometimes miracles happen, and sometimes teams leave with no championship, but great memories are left behind. Tonight, I believe the Bulldogs pass the test, and as a result we will be faced with the inevitable 96 team tournament next season. Before we worry about next year, though, let us all enjoy what I expect to be a phenomenal match up tonight, and watch as a champion is crowned.
No comments:
Post a Comment